Geographic Tongue is also known as benign migratory glossitis. In fact, this is one such situation. Which represents island-shaped pink, white and red patches on the tongue. These patches can change their location, size, and shape. It can affect the top and both sides of your tongue. There are millions of cases every year. Although it is not harmful, it can be a disturbing problem. Because it can make your eating and drinking difficult.
In addition, common symptoms of Geographic Tongue include red patches on the affected area. In addition, burning sensation, pain, bad breath, and in some cases even occasional sensitivity to certain substances, such as spicy, hot, and acidic foods, cigarette smoke, toothpaste, sweets, sugar, etc.
If you are also experiencing geographical language, you should not ignore this article. Because there are home remedies for Geographic Tongue. Which can help geographic tongue cures as well as improve your oral health.
What causes Geographic Tongue?
When it comes to the causes of geographical Tongue, it is difficult to identify the exact cause. But this is a problem that does not spare anyone. It can affect anyone, regardless of gender or age. However, in addition, there are many factors. Which can cause geographical tongue such as
- Emotional stress
- Lichen plans
- Lack of nutrition
- oral parafunctional habits
Treating Geographic Tongue at Home
1. Fluid Intake
Keeping your body hydrated can also ease some of the geographic problems. Simply, you need to increase the amount of fluid to stay hydrated. Because adequate hydration will increase saliva production which is beneficial for oral health. Therefore, you need to follow this tip when treating geographic tongue.
How to use:
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. You can also suck on small pieces of ice.
- Drink cold herbal tea like green or chamomile tea.
- Coconut water hydrates the body. So if possible, drink 1 to 2 glasses of coconut water daily.
- Include water-based fruits and vegetables such as watermelon and cucumber in your diet.
Note – Stay away from alcohol, coffee, and other sugary drinks.
2. Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable glycerin is an effective way to retain tongue moisture as well as avoid irritation. This can speed up the healing process. In addition, if you have bad breath, Vegetable Glycerin will treat it. That’s why vegetable glycerin is another great cure for geographic tongue.
How to use:
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in glycerin and apply it directly to the tongue. After about 5 minutes, use a soft-bristle toothbrush to brush the tongue. Then wash the affected
- area using lukewarm water. You need to repeat this twice a day for at least two weeks to see good results.
- In addition, you can use glycerin mouthwash 2-3 times a day.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has long been used as an effective remedy to treat a variety of oral problems, including the cure geographic tongue. This is due to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Which not only reduces swelling and pain but also kills the bacteria that cause the infection. In addition, it can help you get rid of bad breath.
How to use:
- Take some gel from a fresh leaf of aloe vera and apply it directly to the tongue. After leaving for about 10 minutes, rinse with warm water. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can use aloe vera juice 2 to 3 times a day to clean your mouth.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
When it comes to any type of oral problem, hydrogen peroxide is a must. Because it is an effective remedy, it can effectively remove the red spots caused by the tongue. In addition, due to its antibacterial properties, it inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Thus, it is helpful in reducing the risk of infection. Therefore, it is safe to use hydrogen peroxide to treat oral infections.
How to use:
- Mix an equal amount of hot water in 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Then soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply it directly to the affected area.
- After a few seconds, rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this a few times a day for several days.
Peppermint is known for its powerful antibacterial properties that can effectively prevent bacteria from growing inside your mouth. This will help you to avoid many mouth problems. In addition, it prevents irritation in the tongue and refreshes the breath. This is why mint has been found to be an effective treatment for geographic tongue.
How to use:
- Simply, you need to prepare a cup of strong mint tea, then refrigerate it for 30 minutes and consume it. Do this twice a day.
- Also, you can take some fresh mint leaves or mint gum for daily chewing.
- Alternatively, you can use mint-based oral products, such as toothpaste or mouthwash.
6. Oil Pulling
Oil Pulling is one of the most effective ways to get rid of bacteria and toxins in your mouth. Because it is an Ayurvedic remedy used for all kinds of health-related matters. It is also very effective in treating red spots associated with the geographic tongue. As a result, it helps maintain good oral health. This is why Oil Pulling has been found to be particularly effective in the list of home treatments of geographic tongue.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of organic sesame or coconut oil and put it in your mouth.
- Swipe the oil around your mouth for about 10 minutes
- Then spit it out and clean your mouth using warm water.
- Then brush your teeth as usual.
- Note: Avoid swallowing oil and do this remedy every morning before breakfast.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has long been used to treat many skin infections. Therefore, it would be a big mistake to forget about apple cider vinegar in the list of home remedies for tongue geographic treatment. Because of its antibacterial properties, it can prevent further deterioration of the infection and regulate your skin’s pH level. That way, it can improve your situation quickly.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water and mix it with a quarter tablespoon of baking soda. Use this mixture to cleanse your mouth 2 to 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can mix a tablespoon of vinegar and a little honey in a glass of water and take it 1 to 2 times a day.
However, the home remedies mentioned above can help improve the geographical tongue in a short time, but other than that, here are some other tips. But if you want to treat geographic tongue, you should follow these tips:
- limit consumption of excess yeast and processed foods
- Take an ice cube to rub on the tongue for temporary relief.
- You can also apply some anti-inflammatory steroids on the tongue to relieve the discomfort.
- Avoid heavily flavored candies or other food products
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing teeth twice daily and flossing on a regular basis.
- Avoid hot, spicy, acidic, and salty foods
- Avoid tobacco products as they are dangerous to your health.
- If you have a geographic tongue, don’t scratch your tongue too much.
- Avoid acidic fruits and vegetables as much as possible
- Control your stress levels as they can worsen your condition.