Shortness of breath is commonly known in medical terms as dyspnea. In fact, this is one such situation. In which you have difficulty breathing or have to breathe hard. However, this is a very common problem between us. Many people have complained about this at times. But sometimes it can be a sign of health problems in some cases. In severe cases, Shortness of Breath can cause death.
what causes of shortness of breath
When it comes to shortness of breath causes, this is usually the case. When you go beyond your normal physical activity level. It is also usually associated with hard work and exercise. However, there are other factors that can causes of shortness of breath, such as
- Lack of oxygen
- Allergic reaction
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Respiratory infections
- Heart diseases
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary edema
- Kidney or liver failure
- Airway obstruction
symptoms for shortness of breath
Symptoms of shortness of breath may vary depending on the situation. But in general, you may experience the following symptoms as
- A cough that gets worse over time
- Bloody spit
- Chest pain or pressure
- sore throat
- Nasal congestion or nasal congestion
- Cough bleeding (hemoptysis)
- Breathing hard
- High fever
Top 10 home remedies for shortness of breath
If you are experiencing shortness of breath, you should always consult a doctor in case of a serious condition. Because it can sometimes be a sign of some health issue. However, fortunately, here are some good home remedies for shortness of breath. That can help control the condition as well as strengthen your overall health. So now let’s take a look at the top most effective home remedies for shortness of breath.
1. Black Coffee
Black coffee can be very helpful from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath. Because it contains caffeine. Which helps to reduce the fatigue of the respiratory muscles as well as improve the function of the airways.
- In addition, it works effectively against asthma symptoms.
- Simply, you need to drink 1 to 2 cups of black coffee to normalize breathing.
- Note- You should avoid consuming too much black coffee. Because it can cause serious health problems.
Ginger can reduce inflammation in the lungs as well as help prevent throat infections. Because it has other ingredients besides anti-inflammatory properties. That helps eliminate congestion and prevent mucus from hiding. As a result, it makes your breathing easier. Therefore, it would be a big mistake to lose ginger in the list of home treatment of shortness of breath.
How to use:
- Put a tablespoon of fresh pieces of ginger in some boiling water.
- After boiling for about 10 minutes, add some honey.
- Then consume it slowly.
- Drink 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea daily to eliminate congestion.
- Also, you can chew a piece of ginger directly.
If you are having difficulty breathing due to iron deficiency, then beetroot is the right choice from the list of home remedy for shortness of breath. Because it contains vitamins, potassium, calcium, and fiber as well as other compounds. Not only does this help maintain high levels of iron in the body, but it is also effective in boosting lung function. It helps in lowering blood pressure as well as relaxing the blood vessels and adjusting the amount of oxygen. As a result, beets are able to greatly improve your condition.
How to use:
- Take a medium-sized beetroot and mix it with 2-3 carrots, sweet potato, and some spinach, and consume it once daily.
- Another way, roast 1 – 2 beets and let them cool and then peel the skin. consume with pepper and salt.
Although chopping onions will definitely make you cry, it will keep away respiratory infections. Therefore, the most effective home remedy for the treatment of shortness of breath. This is because the sulfonic acids present in it act as natural decongestants and expectorants. Which helps open your airways.
- Cut the onion and squeeze the juice
- Mix it with a tablespoon of honey and a few drops of warm water.
- Drink it several times a day to keep your airways clean.
Honey helps reduce inflammation and break down mucus in bronchial tuberculosis. Which makes your breathing difficult. This is because the elements present in it act as a decongestant and an expectorant at the same time to open up the compressed air. Therefore, honey is considered one of the most popular home remedies for shortness of breath.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey in 6-8 oz of warm water
- If you wish, you can add cinnamon to it before drinking.
- Thus, drink the syrup every day to speed up the relief.
When it comes to respiratory ailments, it’s no surprise to see fennel on the list of home remedies. Because in addition to its antibacterial properties, it also has expectorant properties. That can eliminate mucus. In addition, it helps to make up for the lack of iron in the body and to clear the germs that cause bad breath.
How to use:
- Put a tablespoon of fennel seeds in some warm water
- Stand for about 10 minutes and then press it
- Add a little honey and drink 2 to 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can eat some roasted fennel seeds.
7. Quit Smoking
Cigarette smoke can cause many breathing problems. Because it contains a toxic substance called nicotine. That makes your breathing difficult. Therefore, it is important to avoid secondhand smoke as well as smoking to avoid breathing difficulties. However, quitting smoking is not an easy task. Therefore, you can seek medical advice as well as help from others. The results will be visible within the first month after you quit smoking. Quitting smoking is a list of home remedies for shortness of breath that you should follow.
8. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil can help you deal with respiratory conditions. This not only reduces the mucus but also helps to soften it so that you can cough it up. As a result, it will make your breathing easier. In addition, eucalyptus oil is known to relieve muscle cramps, which can be triggered by respiratory restriction. Therefore, eucalyptus oil must be included in the list of home remedies for shortness of breath treatment.
For treatment, you can use medicine made with eucalyptus extract, pure essential oil, and its leaves.
Garlic provides many health benefits. If you are having difficulty breathing due to bronchitis and asthma, garlic is the ideal solution for you from the list of home treatments of dyspnea. Because it contains a mixture called allicin. Which improves space in the air passage through clean congestion and improves lung capacity. As a result, breathing will become normal.
- In addition, garlic is also considered beneficial for heart problems.
- Therefore, you should include garlic in your daily diet.
Myrrh has long been used to treat respiratory problems. Because it has the ability to clear congestion in the lungs and respiratory tract. In addition, it also helps to stimulate blood circulation. Thus preventing the failure of a congestive heart that might trigger shortness of breath. Therefore, Myrrh is considered to be the best treatment for shortness of breath so far.
- Add a little Myrrh in some warm water and drink the prepared tea.
- In addition, you can use extracts, capsules, and oils.
Extra Tips To Prevent Shortness Of Breath
- Don’t sleep in a room that is too hot as it can make breathing worse.
- When you are about to have shortness of breath, stop current activities and rest to normalize breathing.
- Eat green vegetables and fruits rich in nutrients.
- People with asthma need to breathe before exercising.
- Use enough water and other fluids to stay hydrated and dilute mucus.
- Stay away from toxic chemicals and fumes.
- Remember to take short breaks when doing strenuous activities
- Focus on distracting the brain from breathing as it will help the subconscious mind to control breathing.
- If you have difficulty sleeping at night, you can place a pillow between your legs, or lie down on one side.
- Keep it moist, especially in the winter, as dry air thickens mucus, making it difficult to breathe.
- Be sure to consult your doctor before taking any medicine or supplement.